Tuesday, July 10, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

Last weekend, HSBC sponsored us to an award-winning documentary film at the Mall Cineplex...An Inconvenient Truth. It was a truly inspiring film, presented by Al Gore. His presentation style, slide shows, illustrations, and humour... captured my attention throughout.

In the film, he tried to convey how much global warming could do: -
i) pictures of glaciers, the before and after
ii) record high temperature positively corelated to carbon dioxide concentration
iii) polar bears drowning as ice melts away
iv) re-generation of "old" diseases, and "new" ones evolving
v) the catastrophe of hurricane Katrina (just when you thought it was a NATURAL disaster)
and etc etc (my memory fails me sometimes).

But the one part which I he mentioned, and which was related to the theme of this blog, was the effect it has on corals. With rising global temperatures, the survival of these delicate corals becomes threatening. In the film, Gore showed photographs of living corals, and dead corals....I recalled seeing some of them during my dive. It didn't occur to me, at first, but now I know they were human-caused.

Imagine you're on a beautiful tropical island, water is clear, sea is calm, you put on your gears and jump into the water. Instead of seeing brightly coloured corals, and fish, all you see are dead corals.

I'm going to do my part NOW, no matter how minimal, to save the environment... when will you?

No comments: